After watching the first few episodes, I have got to say this anime was surprisingly good! The title was confusing but don’t get fooled! Here are some anime similar to My Love Story with Yamada-kun at Lv999!
Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku (Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii)
Having slept through all four of her alarms, the energetic Narumi Momose finds herself running late for her first day of work at a new office. As she races to catch her train, she makes a promise to herself that none of her coworkers will find out about her dark secret: that she is an otaku and a fujoshi.
Her plan goes instantly awry, though, when she runs into Hirotaka Nifuji, an old friend from middle school. Although she tries to keep her secret by inviting him out for drinks after work, her cover is blown when he casually asks her whether or not she will be attending the upcoming Summer Comiket. Luckily for her, the only witnesses—Hanako Koyanagi and Tarou Kabakura—are otaku as well.
Later that night, the pair go out for drinks so that they can catch up after all the years apart. After Narumi complains about her previous boyfriend breaking up with her because he refused to date a fujoshi, Hirotaka suggests that she try dating a fellow otaku, specifically himself. He makes a solemn promise to always be there for her, to support her, and to help her farm for rare drops in Monster Hunter. Blown away by the proposal, Narumi agrees immediately. Thus the two otaku start dating, and their adorably awkward romance begins.
- The main leads are both gamers
- Both of them have some funny jokes – the relationships are insanely cute, while at the same time being actually somewhat mature – blonde sunny boy as a side character 🙂
- Likeable MCs (Read the Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru web manga. Trust me, it’s spicy.)
On the surface, the thought of Kyouko Hori and Izumi Miyamura getting along would be the last thing in people’s minds. After all, Hori has a perfect combination of beauty and brains, while Miyamura appears meek and distant to his fellow classmates. However, a fateful meeting between the two lays both of their hidden selves bare.
Even though she is popular at school, Hori has little time to socialize with her friends due to housework. On the other hand, Miyamura lives under the noses of his peers, his body bearing secret tattoos and piercings that make him look like a gentle delinquent.
Having opposite personalities yet sharing odd similarities, the two quickly become friends and often spend time together in Hori’s home. As they both emerge from their shells, they share with each other a side of themselves concealed from the outside world.
- Modern High school rom-com anime with similar character dynamic.
- Main characters in both the series is kinda similar ; the main guy is a soft spoken person who is also very attractive while the main girl talks to much and is very friendly.
- Both the series are very well animated series with likable lead and side characters.
- Both MCs feel like Opposite attracts but it’s more them getting to know each other and developing an awesome friendship which makes them love each other.
Recovery of an MMO Junkie (Net-juu no Susume)
For the first time since graduating high school, 30-year-old Moriko Morioka is unemployed—and she couldn’t be happier. Having quit her long-standing job of over 11 years, Moriko quickly turns to online games to pass her now-plentiful free time, reinventing herself as the handsome and dashing male hero “Hayashi” in the MMO Fruits de Mer. With the pesky societal obligations of the real world out of the way, she blissfully dives headfirst into the realm of the game, where she promptly meets the kind and adorable healer Lily.
Befriending each other almost instantly, the two become inseparable just as Moriko herself becomes more and more engrossed in her new “life” as Hayashi. Eventually, Moriko adopts the reclusive lifestyle in its entirety, venturing out from the safety of her apartment only when absolutely necessary.
Meanwhile, unbeknownst to Moriko, a timid 28-year-old corporate worker named Yuuta Sakurai has also logged onto Fruits de Mer from the other side of town. Coincidentally bumping into each other at the convenience store one night, both write off their meeting as no more than just another awkward encounter with a stranger—however, fate has more in store for them than they think.
- Characters that meet in a online game and, eventually, get to known each other IRL and develop a romantic relationship (this last part for Net-juu cuz as I write now only the first episode of Yamada came out and is kind soon to set the ship/romance sail but it does look inevitable).
- Both anime are romantics that relate the real life of the characters with their life in games, usually RPGs. Both are very fun and a great entertainment option.
The Angel Next Door Spoils Me Rotten (Otonari no Tenshi-sama ni Itsunomanika Dame Ningen ni Sareteita Ken)
Mahiru Shiina is worthy of her nickname “Angel”: she is a divine beauty loved by all, and she excels in both academics and athletics. Shiina lives in an entirely different world from Amane Fujimiya, her next-door neighbor. Despite living so close together, they have never spoken once. But their silence is broken when Fujimiya spots Shiina gloomily sitting on a swing amidst a heavy rainstorm and lends her his umbrella.
When Fujimiya catches a cold the next day, Shiina wishes to return the favor for the umbrella by nursing him back to health. Believing that this would be their first and last interaction, he silently appreciates her kindness. However, Shiina—who can not help but worry about Fujimiya’s lack of tidiness and proper nutrition—begins to cook and clean for him. As the unlikely pair spend time together in Fujimiya’s apartment, they explore the true nature of their relationship and the gentle emotions that emerge from it.
- Both develop their love interest but cannot express it easily. Yamada and Amane are dense with no experience with girls & they’re always distancing themselves from others.
- Akane and Mahiru captivate the boys into liking them by using their charm and throughout the series’s you feel that both couples complement each other quite nicely with some interesting interactions, warm and wholesome vibes overall. Totally recommended to check both!
High Score Girl (Anime Like Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru)
The year is 1991, and arcade video games are the latest craze. Becoming a professional gamer is a far-fetched dream in an industry that has yet to spread its influence. Yet, that is the path sixth-grader Haruo Yaguchi wants to pursue. His aptitude for video games has earned him respect in local arcades and bestowed him with confidence and pride, both of which are shattered when fellow classmate Akira Oono easily defeats him in Street Fighter 2.
Akira is rich, pretty, and smart—as close as can be to a perfect girl. But Haruo had never cared about these things as, despite his multiple shortcomings as a person, his supremacy in video games was, in his mind, undisputed. So, now that someone has appeared who can rival him, part of Haruo cannot help but loathe her. Another part, however, itches for somebody who can compete with him on equal terms, and Akira is more than capable.
- Main love interest bond and meet over video games
- The male protagonist doesn’t understand the female protagonists feelings
- Both in school of some sort -multiplayer gaming + gaming together -friends who are gamers
Wolf Girl & Black Prince (Ookami Shoujo to Kuro Ouji)
Erika Shinohara has taken to lying about her romantic exploits to earn the respect of her new friends. So when they ask for a picture of her “boyfriend,” she hastily snaps a photo of a handsome stranger, whom her friends recognize as the popular and kind-hearted Kyouya Sata.
Trapped in her own web of lies and desperately trying to avoid humiliation, Erika explains her predicament to Kyouya, hoping he will pretend to be her boyfriend. But Kyouya is not the angel he appears to be: he is actually a mean-spirited sadist who forces Erika to become his “dog” in exchange for keeping her secret.
Begrudgingly accepting his deal, Erika soon begins to see glimpses of the real Kyouya beneath the multiple layers of his outer persona. As she finds herself falling for him, she can’t help but question if he will ever feel the same way about her. Will Kyouya finally make an honest woman out of Erika, or is she destined to be a “wolf girl” forever?
- In both stories, the protagonist asks an ikemen to pretend to be her boyfriend with a small bribe. However, Yamada is a nice guy compared to the black prince. It’s a contrasting story of a nicer guy versus a jerk.
And you thought there is never a girl online? (Netoge no Yome wa Onnanoko ja Nai to Omotta?)
After mustering up the courage to propose to a girl in an online game, naive otaku Hideki “Rusian” Nishimura is devastated when she flat-out rejects him. To make matters worse, the girl reveals that she is actually an older man in real life. With his dreams crushed and his heart broken, Rusian comes to an abrupt decision in the midst of his raging fit: he will never trust another girl in an online game again.
Years later, Rusian is now in a guild with three other players, one of whom possesses a female avatar by the name of Ako. Ako is deeply in love with Rusian and wants to marry him. Although he entertains the possibility that she might be a guy, Rusian accepts her proposal, claiming that her gender does not matter as long as she is cute in-game. However, after a discussion between the guild members that led to all of them having an offline meeting, Rusian finds out that Ako, along with the other members, is not just a girl but also his schoolmate.
- Almost everything is literally the same!
- But one’s from a girl’s point of view and the other from a guy’s.
- One’s set in uni students’ lives and the other in high school!
Hope you enjoyed the recommendations for anime like My Love Story with Yamada-kun at Lv999!
Read also: Anime Like Toradora!